The Williamson County Fair honors our county's Century Farms with an exhibit and dinner each year. The exhibit educates fairgoers on the significance of these special farms by sharing photos and information on each farm and family. There are currently 37 Century Farms in Williamson County. Unfortunately the dinner will not be held in 2021 due to reconfiguring of the overall layout to provide for social distancing.
The Tennessee Century Farms Program was created in 1975 by the Tennessee Department of Agriculture as part of our nation’s bicentennial celebration. The primary focus of the program is to continue honoring and recognizing the dedication and contributions of families who have owned and farmed the same land for at least 100 years. Since its inception, the statewide and ongoing program has 1487 certified farms. Of that number, 52 farms were founded in or prior to the year 1796, the year Tennessee became a state. 30 farms are on the National Register, and 8 are a part of the Land Trust for Tennessee. Additionally, 7 have African-American founders, and 4 were founded by women.
Photos of some of our Williamson County Farms are shown on the right. All others are as follows:
Bagend Farm, in the Bethesda community, was established in 1848 by Nancy Smithson. Ownership by women in the nineteenth century was uncommon because of property laws. The tradition of female ownership continues today.
Bluegrass Farm, 1825, was founded by John B. and Elizabeth Bond. He was a blacksmith in the eastern part of the county as early as 1797. American Polled Herefords are part of the farm’s livestock history.
Bond Farm, 1870, also in Bethesda, was the home of P. D. Scales and his wife, Mary and their children. Beef cattle and hay are raised by their descendants today.
Cannon Farm, south of Franklin, was part of the land grant of Col. Hardy Murfree, a Revolutionary War veteran who is buried on the farm. Samuel and Nancy Perkins purchased nearly 800 acres in 1842.
Cedar Lane Farm was established in 1896 by James Walker and Rebecca Cathy Walker. The great granddaughter of the founding couple is the owner of the farm today.
Creekside Farm is a landmark property just north of Franklin with an 1835 house and springhouse from about 1866. Five siblings, great-grandchildren of the founders John and Cynthia McEwen, managed the farm throughout the twentieth century.
Crystal Valley Farm is in the northeastern part of the county and dates to 1869 when James Thomas Carroll McCanless purchased over 400 acres to grow cotton, grains and livestock. The McCanless name continues in today’s ownership.
Gentry Farm, located near Triune, was the home of A. D. Gentry who acquired the property in 1887. His wife was Mary Jane McCanless and they had ten children. Their descendants raise hay and cattle on about 80 acres.
German Farm was founded by Zacheus German in 1830. The son of Daniel German, an early settler, Zachesu specialized in breeding fine horses. He and his wife Emeline McEwen had fourteen children and their line continues in the owners today.
Glenn Acres, 1786, has the distinction of being the oldest Century Farm in the county and predates statehood. Founding couple Thomas Gillespie and his wife Naomi were the grandparents of Jane Knox Polk, the mother of President James Knox Polk.
Locust Guard Farm, 1800, was settled by Revolutionary War veteran John Motheral and his wife Jane Currie. Progressive farming and community service have been the practice of generations of their descendants--the Ring family.
Longview Farm was founded by Virginia Brown Pointer in 1897. Her land near the Maury County line has seen many changes as roads and development have reduced the farm from 200 to 24 acres.
Ozburn Hollow Farm in Triune was founded by Robert Ozburn, one of many Scots-Irish who settled in Williamson County. He served in the Colonial Army from 1775-1781. Several nineteenth century buildings remain on this historic farmstead.
Sherwood Green Farm is named for another Revolutionary War veteran who came from North Carolina; he began farming in the county in 1808. Green fathered twelve children with two wives leaving a legacy of family farming that continues today in Nolensville.
Valley View Farm is the legacy of Allen F. Wood who began farming with 50 acres in 1827 where he practiced general farming. The original log dwelling is incorporated into the main farm residence.
Walker Farm was founded in 1900 by William Thomas Walker and his wife Harriet Beech. He owned and operated a grist mill and hauled lumber to Nashville by a mule-pulled wagon. The farm is home to multiple generations of the Walkers.
Woodland Farm, on the Old Natchez Trace, has been the home of the Moran family since 1857. In that year, Sam Houston Moran and his wife Margaret Fair Moran moved here and raised twelve children. Several historic buildings remain on the farm.
Woodland View Farm traces its founding to Richard Herbert, an Englishman who purchased the property in 1820. The Herbert's have raised a variety of row crops and livestock over the years. A barn built in 1845 and a springhouse remain on the farm.